Manufacturing, Quality & Field Support Chemist
The Manufacturing, Quality & Field Chemist is responsible for ensuring new product and legacy production formulas and SOPs to produce the required finished product using the available production resources. The role is responsible for the investigation and determination of corrective actions for production problems, customer complaints, and monitoring production batches to identify continuous improvement opportunities. The role is also responsible for supporting field sales with requested testing and core analysis process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must follow all established safety rules and procedures
- Investigate production problems related to formulation, raw materials, quality control, and manufacturing issues
- Assist in investigations of customer complaints related to manufacturing and/or Quality Control
- Produce “check batches” of problem batches for root cause analysis
- Produce corrections for problem batches in process by scale up of lab size batches
- Work with manufacturing personnel during production of problematic products
- Participate in Stage gate process for New Product Development especially in the Validation phase
- Assist in process capability & validation assessments
- Recommends measures to improve product processing methods, product testing, and quality of product
- Support and improve Quality Management System
- Maintains the assigned work area(s) in a clean, orderly and safe manner
- Provides coatings chemistry training to Operations and Engineering personnel
- Reports to management and suggests recommendations on quality concerns, trends and costs.
- Develop Control Plans, Inspection Instructions and other documents as needed to effectively manage product/process quality.
- Resolve measurement and specification issues.
- May supervise and schedule work of Quality personnel and/or other subordinates as assigned.
- Experience with Stage gate and Six Sigma Quality tools is preferred.
Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities Required:
- B.S. or M.S. preferably in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering or a related technical discipline. Minimum 5 years in coatings experience.
- Successful candidate must be both a "hands on" detail-oriented person and a team player with the new product development, engineering and operations groups.
- Certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
- Skilled in using LSS tools to resolve quality issues. Tools to include Process Mapping, VSM, Fishbone, FMEA, DOE, Control Plans etc.
- Candidate should possess excellent abilities in communication (presentation, oral and written), time management, interpersonal, and decision making skills.
- Experience dealing with supplier and customers concerning quality issue remedy, root cause and corrective action.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to use common software tools for statistics, spreadsheet, word processing, presentation tasks.
- Driven toward innovation and continuous improvement
- Excels in and enjoys problem solving
- Selfless sharing of knowledge to all Dur-A-Flex owners
- Delivers on commitments
- Inquiring mind focused on development (personal, professional, and product)
- Takes full ownership of assigned projects
- Relishes learning and approaches each day as an opportunity to learn and grow
- Cooperative personality with a penchant for team membership and collective goal attainment
- Data driven and fact based decision making capabilities
- Good computer skills to include Microsoft Office, Visio, Minitab etc
- Training will be conducted on the procedures that are required to perform the job.
- Certification training for LSS Black Belt will be provided by Dur-A-Flex.
Interested in joining the Dur-A-Flex team? Please send resume and cover letter to HR@Dur-A-Flex.com. Please put the position you're applying for in the subject line of the e-mail.